Thursday, February 6, 2014

My Favorite Books





I'll admit I don't read quite as many books as I should, but I still read some...and these are my favorites over the past few years.

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
You've probably heard of this one, and a movie adaptation is coming out this year. TFIOS tells the story of two teenage cancer patients, Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters and their relationship. Much to my luck, I've never had cancer, but if you've had any sort of experience with chronic illness or depression, you'll be able to relate to Hazel. It's a fantastic read, it's won countless awards, and it's been a best seller. I have copies of all of John Green's books, and they're all wonderful, but I didn't want to make this a John Green post~

Miki Falls by Mark Crilley
The way I arranged this list, it alternates from novel, manga, novel, manga and so on. So! Miki Falls is a four volume manga series by Mark Crilley. I've loved Mark Crilley since before I could read, when my father introduced me to Akiko, his other biggest work, but Miki Falls is a really great story about Miki and her relationship with a mysterious boy named Hiro, but that's not even the half of the story~

Maximum Ride by James Patterson
James Patterson is one of my father's favorite authors, and he writes books that can be read really fast. Maximum Ride is a (technically) 8-novel series about a group of young people with avian DNA and capabilities that live together as a family. It's a really fantastic series, and a manga adaptation has been coming out too, which I love.

Alice In The Country Of Hearts by Quin Rose
Alice in the Country of Hearts originated as a japanese visual novel, and was later turned into two manga series', this being the first. It's a newer take on Alice in Wonderland in which Alice has a bit of a harem. It's not fantastic literature but it's pretty cute and the designs are really nice.

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
You might have heard of this one too. Uglies is the first in a four part series about a society in which you get a major surgery upon turning sixteen, that changes your entire appearance and makes you beautiful by this society's standards. This is the story of Tally Youngblood's months leading up to her birthday and surgery. (I haven't gotten to read the next books in the series yet though, I really hope I get to soon! >: )

Avril Lavigne's Make Five Wishes by Joshua Dysart and Camilla D'Errico
This is sort of what you might call an "ameri-manga". And it doesn't have as much to do with Avril Lavigne as you might think. This two part series is actually really heavy. It's the story of Hanna, who, lonely and depressed spends all her time impersonating others in chat rooms, sort of creating alter egos for herself. In time, she finds a way out of five of her biggest problems, but things don't quite work out. (Major warning! Nothing in the other books is too awful as a big surprise but if you're triggered easily, please please be careful about this book! There's major depression and suicides even very early on, so please be aware. ♥)

And those are my top six favorite novels and manga series'. I hope you enjoyed it! See you next time! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment